Maintaining a healthy lifestyle and eating healthily can help to prevent certain age related diseases such as heart disease, osteoporosis and diabetes to name a few.
Making good food choices could add years to your life! Foods high in antioxidants fight off free-radicals which cause cellular damage and therefore accelerate the aging process.
Here are 7 Super Foods that are Rich in Antioxidants
- Olive oil which contains powerful antioxidants and mono-saturated fats have been clinically proven to help lower the risk of heart disease and cancer.
- Yogurt – live yogurt is rich in calcium, which assists in the prevention of osteoporosis. It also contains good bacteria, which helps to maintain a healthy gut.
- Fish is a good source of omega 3 fats which prevents cholesterol build up in the arteries.
- Chocolate – studies have been done with findings that chocolate contains cocoa which is rich in flavanols which help preserve healthy function in the blood vessels therefore lowering the risk of high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, kidney disease and dementia.
- Nuts are a rich source of unsaturated fats, with similar properties to olive oil. They are also concentrated sources of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- Wine – drinking alcohol, particularly red wine (in moderation) has been proven to protect against heart disease, diabetes and age related memory loss.
- Blueberries – the compounds in blueberries decrease the effects of inflammation and oxidative damage associated with age-related deficits in memory and motor function.
There is also one other food that acts completely differently to most of these superfoods. This food has the potent anti-inflammatory properties to decrease chronic inflammation. This can be a damaging process that can occur in your body so reducing this could lead to a healthier longer life. This food also boosts your immune system, improves your gut and strengthens bones, hair and nails.
The simplest way to make a broth is to boil the bones, after boiling them you can remove them and add meat, vegetables, herbs and spices to make a tasty soup. You can make a broth from most animals including poultry, beef, fish and lamb. It is important to make sure that they are organic, grass or pasture fed animals, higher in nutrition and free from toxic elements found in farm bred animals.
This is also why sometimes it is a great food to have when we are sick… if the body is battling against something it usually craves something to help it get better – it is the bone marrow within the broth that has many health benefits.
- Improves gut health – it contains nutrients that heal the gut and improves nutrient absorption.
- Strengthens the immune system – a healthy gut means the immune system is strong and able to fight and prevent illnesses more effectively.
- Healthier nails and hair – it contains gelatin which helps to promote growth of nails and hair.
- Promotes skeletal health – great source of magnesium and calcium which are important in strengthening bones and skeletal system.
- Reduces inflammation –certain amino acids found in bone marrow have a huge impact on reducing inflammation in areas such as the digestive tract, joints or muscles.
Anti-Aging Foods for Skin
The following foods have all got special properties that can have very positive effect on the skin.
- Strawberries have high levels of vitamin C and can help prevent wrinkles and dryness.
- Tomatoes contain carotenoid which helps to keep the skin smooth.
- Tofu is rich in isoflavones which helps preserve the firmness of the skin.
- Fish rich in Omega 3 help to keep the skin looking youthful and assist in the prevention of skin cancer.
- Coffee has been in studies which have proved one caffeinated coffee per day can help reduce the risk of skin cancer by 10%
- Cocoa contains a type of flavonoid which increases blood flow to the skin keeping it looking healthy.
Mobile.eatingwell.com – Add years to your life with these foods for healthy aging
Shin Ohtake – This wonder food can help prevent disease and slow aging.